How should my yard waste be handled so it can be picked up by the County? The following excerpt from the Manatee County website should provide you with the needed information to ensure that your tree trimmings and other yard waste are picked up each week.
Yard waste is vegetative matter resulting from yard and landscaping maintenance of your own property. This includes materials such as tree branches, leaves, grass clippings or palm fronds. Please prepare yard waste properly to expedite pickup.
All yard waste is picked up on Wednesdays. (Except for holiday makeup schedule).
Many items are diverted from the landfill. We ask that you separate the materials into groups (household / furniture, yard waste, e-scrap / white goods , and tires) as separate trucks collect different materials.
HOW TO PREPARE YARD WASTE
- You can use sturdy garbage bags.
- If you do not wish to use garbage cans or garbage bags, you can put yard waste in bundles no longer than four (4) feet in length.
- Bundles cannot contain branches larger than six (6) inches in diameter. Any branch larger than six (6) inches in diameter should be cut in half length-wise, tied and bundled.
- Tie bundles with heavy-duty string.
- Please put yard waste in a 32-gallon garbage cans. Yard waste should not extend above the top of the can.
Bundles, bags or 32-gallon garbage cans should weigh no more than 50 pounds each.
All properly prepared yard waste is picked up on Wednesday. (Except for holiday make-up schedules)
- You may also take your yard waste to the landfill for a fee.
FREE ANNUAL/SPECIAL PICK-UP:
- Each residential address may utilize one (1) collection per year for solid waste at no additional cost. You may use this service for the collection of more than two (2) large items, too much yard waste to bundle, e-scrap and white goods at the curb. Additional special pick-ups are available for an additional service fee.
- To see if you qualify for a free annual please call customer services at 941-792-8811.
- One per year (Oct. 1st – Sept. 30th) per residential address.
- There is a 60 cubic yard limit (L 40′ x W 8′ x H 6′)
There is no limit on the amount of yard waste that can be picked up, as long as it is bundled, bagged or canned and placed out properly. The removal of large amounts of loose yard waste is not part of the residential collection service charge, and is considered an “Extraordinary Service.” If you choose to have the hauler pick up your loose yard waste, please call customer service at 941-792-8811 to arrange a pickup. This Extraordinary Service will be charged on your next utility bill. Residents may also elect to take the debris to the Lena Road Landfill in their own vehicle.